Does IP Locator support IPv6 lookup?
Yes, IP Locator supports IPv6 Lookups.
Does the IP web service support XML?
No, IP Locator only supports the JSON format for requests and responses.
How accurate is the Latitude/longitude returned?
Melissa Data’s IP Locator uses 20 different techniques to determine the physical location of an IP address.
This is the secret sauce behind a better understanding of the topology of the internet.
- ASN/BGP routes
- Mobile Carrier owned IPs Database
- Partner submitted Internet Topology
- Proxy Data lists
- Domain Data
- Proprietary Clustering Analysis algorithms
- Reverse DNS information
- Wireless WIFI Endpoints Map
- Domain Expansion algorithms
- Company Name Databases
- Organization Name databases
- Whois data
- T1, t3, OC3, OC12 Registries
- Cable, Dial up, DSL registries
- Realtime IP Connections through Skyhook Wireless
- Regional Internet Registries
- Web Spidering technology
- Dynamic IP Pool Mapping
- DSLAM, CMTS, POP Server analysis
It is not going to be true location, but it is calculated using several techniques to get the best possible accurate lat/long centroid.