Matchcode Optimization:Double Metaphone
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Double Metaphone improves upon the Soundex algorithm by identifying inconsistencies in English spelling and pronunciation to produce a more accurate encoding.
- A variation of both the SoundEx and PhonetEx algorithms. Double Metaphone performs 2 different PhonetEx-style transformations. It creates two PhonetEx-like strings (primary and alternate) for both strings based on multiple phonetic variations which originated from other languages. Unlike Soundex and Phonetex, the Metaphones are generated during the comparison algorithm.
- Primary keys match = 99.9%
- Alternate keys match = 85.0%
- Primary matches alternate = 85.0%
- Alternate keys match = 75.0%
Example Matchcode Component
STRING1 STRING2 RESULT Johnson Jhnsn Match Found Deanardo Dinardio Match Found Beaumarchais Bumarchay Match Found Theverymost Hteberynost Unique
|More Matches||Greater Accuracy|
- Hybrid deduper, where a single incoming record can quickly be evaluated independently against each record in an existing large master database.
- Databases created via real-time data entry where audio likeness errors are introduced.
- Databases of US and English language origin.
Not Recommended For
- Large or Enterprise level batch runs. Since the algorithm must be evaluated for each record comparison, throughput will be very slow.
- Fields whose content data is of type Dictionary or Quantifiable.
- Databases of non-US and non-English language origin.
Do Not Use With
- UTF-8 data. This algorithm was ported to MatchUp with the assumption that a character equals one byte, and therefore results may not be accurate if the data contains multi-byte characters.